Wayne Garratt

Full name: Wayne Malcolm Garratt
Halesowen, West Midlands
30th October 1968

Died on 28th September 1992





Career Record with Cradley

Statistics taken from the Cradley Speedway Database
includes ALL matches

Year Mat Rid Poi  Bon Total Aver
1986 2 6 1 0 1 0.66
1987 10 19 4 1 5 1.05
1988 52 181 119 31 150 3.31
1991 41 162 125 17 142 3.50
1992 1 4 5 0 5 5.00

Wayne rode for Arena Essex Hammers in 1989 and 1990
and Newcastle Diamonds in 1992




Former Junior Grasstrack Champion at the age of 6, Wayne started his speedway career at Dudley Wood on his 16th birthday in 1984 later joining Cradleys junior team and made his debut into the Heathens side on 27th September 1986 in a British League match against Belle Vue, he replaced the injured Paul Fry.  Two days later he rode at Reading in a KOC Quarter Final.  Affectionately known as Bodger he was put into the team on  9th May 1987, his first of 10 appearances for this season.  He was usually one of the Heathens best junior team members and was called upon to replace injured team members.  A big hit with the fans being a local lad and showing great style and good promise.
1988 was when Wayne became a full Heathen, having 52 matches in all. His best score was 7 points plus 1 bonus from 4 rides on 1st October against Ipswich. Due to the points limit Cradley released him to Arena Essex in 1989 he stayed with the Hammers the following season where he was a great hit, and very popular with the fans. He managed to get and average of just under 6 points in both seasons.
Wayne was recalled to Cradley in 1991 for another full season with the Heathens, he did 41 matches.  Who can forget his fight with Neil Collins in April, he received a ban for the rest of the season but successfully appealed and was allowed back into the team.

At the end of the 1991 he was released to go on loan to Newcastle for the 1992 season.  He made just one appearance for the Heathens in 1992 in a challenge match against a League Select, he scored 5 points from 4 rides.  He had 15 matches for the Diamonds for an average of
4.63.  Then at Brough Park, Newcastle against Peterborough in a KOC match on Sunday 13th September Wayne crashed in what looked like a simple tumble.  He was taken to hospital and put on a life support machine with brain injuries.
Unfortunately Wayne
picked up a chest and lung infection during his stay. He never regained consciousness and sadly died 15 days later.
He was bought home to the Black Country for his funeral and taken into Dudley Wood Stadium for his final visit. RIP Wayne.


Wayne is still fondly remembered by the Cradley fans and a trophy is awarded in his honour each year for the Most Improved Rider.

Back to the Listing

Web site created and maintained by Phil & Steve Johnson. E-mail me your comments and suggestions.
The views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of Cradley Heath Speedway.
Copyright: Phil & Steve Johnson & Cradley Heath Speedway Ltd, 2017.